10/5/08

Rest In Peace, My Beautiful Brother



My brother Tim, at rest with God, October 5, 2008 at 8:00 pm. Tim, age 49, died peacefully tonight with his family at his side, after falling into coma this weekend. I was able to hold his hand, tell him I love him, and whispered that it was okay to let go.

This photo was from Christmas 2007.

Addition 10/8/08:

This was a really lovely obituary notice, written by a local correspondent:

Cop always ready to help

October 7, 2008

BY WILLIAM LEE, staff writer

At the first signs of trouble, Tim Kaufmann was the type of cop who would spring to action without being asked.

After the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, he joined a group of Chicago officers who traveled to New York City's ground zero to help out.

The Evergreen Park father of five died Sunday from brain cancer, his family said. He was 49.

Mr. Kaufmann had a long and distinguished career with the sheriff's department, most recently heading its Internal Affairs Division.
During his 25-year career, Mr. Kaufmann received recognition and awards, including a life-saving award for quickly freeing a family of four from a car wreck as gasoline gushed from a ruptured tank in 1995.

He also served as an undercover officer, pretending to be the owner of a bogus pawn shop to bust up a theft operation and also later posing as a hitman whom a housewife tried to hire to kill her husband, officials said.

"He was a very special person," Sheriff Tom Dart said.

Since being appointed by Dart's predecessor, Michael Sheahan, as chief of Internal Affairs, Mr. Kaufmann handled every major investigation into wrongdoing by sheriff's employees, Dart said. He recalled him as a dedicated officer who used humor to undercut the seriousness of his work.

"When you're dealing with this level of violence and wrongdoing, the only way you can survive this stuff is through humor, and he had a tremendous sense of humor," Dart said.

Mr. Kaufmann had a simple way of juggling his work and home lives, his family said.

"Laugh it off, never bring it home, leave it at work," said his brother Anthony, a Chicago police officer. "He loved life, he was a practical joker and a very dedicated family man."

The lesson was respected by many of his brothers and sisters, which include police officers and one Chicago firefighter.

An Oak Lawn native, Mr. Kaufmann and his wife, Carol, raised their five children in Evergreen. The former Brother Rice High School soccer goalie kept his enthusiasm for the game and become a youth soccer coach at St. Catherine of Alexandria parish, where he graduated as a child.

After he was diagnosed with cancer, his friends and family drew thousands to a fundraiser last month at 115 Bourbon Street in Merrionette Park to help support his family.

In addition to his wife and brother, Mr. Kaufmann is survived by his mother Constance; brothers, Michael, Peter, William and Frank; sisters Karen and Judy; children Maureen, Tim, Katie, Sean and Colleen; and grandson Gavin. He was preceded in death by his father, Frank.

A visitation is scheduled from 3 to 9 p.m. Wednesday at Blake-Lamb Funeral Home in Oak Lawn, with a funeral Mass at 10:30 a.m. Thursday at Most Holy Redeemer Church in Evergreen Park.
William Lee can be reached at wlee@southtownstar.com or (708) 633-6747.

13 comments:

Lucy said...

Dear Tink,

My thoughts are with you tonight.

I'm glad to hear you were able to be there for your brother for his send-off to that place of peace.

Yet I'm so sorry for your earthly loss, you'll miss him here... he looks like a lovely man.

Many Blessings and a wish for strength and peace to carry you and your extended family this week and always.

Love, Lucy.

Ahvarahn said...

Tink,

I am so sorry to hear about Tim. You and Tim, and his family, are in my thoughts.

take care,
Love
Paul.

ROB said...

Oh man Tink....I am so sorry. Times like this I never know what to say but I'll try anyhow. Having gone through this with my Dad and 2 dogs in the past year I can totally relate. I am glad that you were there to comfort him and be there just as I was for both parents and both dogs. We have no idea how much this probably means to them. He knew you were there and I'm sure it made it all better for him. You two will meet again in a better place and you'll pick up right where you left off. Hang in there Tink and know we are here to give you strength.

Love,
Rob

Tink said...

Thank you guys ... for the love and kindness. It's pretty rough going, but we'll get through! The viewing service is Wed. and funeral is Thursday. I'll try to check in later on in the week. Thank you, again - your love & support means the world to me.

xo Tink

Lucy said...

Dear Tink,

I have not forgotten your birthday today -- I know it must be bittersweet. I see visitation is today.

Anyway, I'm glad to know you. Let that be my birthday wish to you this year. Until happier times....

("All shall be well and all shall be well....")

Continuing to think of you....

Love,
Lucy. (p.s. great writeup on your brother -- he sounded like a top citizen and lovely person)

519Lin said...

Tink,
so sorry to return to your blog after a long abscence to news like this. My heartfelt deepest sympathies to you and your family members. Glad you could be there at the end event hough he was in a coma. My Dad passed away directly after a 5 day coma and I know he could hear and feel us there.
He seems like he was a very giving, caring person who will no doubt have his name written down in the book of life, and I am sure you know what that means

all my best
if you want to talk please email me, I am here anytime for you...
-Lin

ROB said...

Hi Tink. I just read the add-on obituary and must say your brother seems like a great guy. He also accomplished a lot in his life. Obviously he will be greatly missed not only by his family but by quite a few others whose lives he'd touched.

Take care and hang tough!

Love,
Rob

grace said...

Dear Tink

I apologize for my delay in checking your blog. I have been experiencing computer problems.

I am so very sorry for your loss, my thoughts, prayers and love go out to you and your family.

much, much love xoxoxo Grace

e-mail if you like, bloggrace@hotmail.com

Dale said...

That is so beautiful, Tink.
Your brother sounds like he was a loyal police officer, dedicated family man and humanitarian. I feel honoured to have the opportunity for a glimpse into his life.
Thank you for sharing.
My thoughts are with you all.

Love
Dale

Lucy said...

Hi Tink,

Just sending you warm thoughts for the week.

Thinking of you, and missing you.

Saw The Who last Tuesday in Detroit. It was good. Very good.

And all for charity.

Love,
Lucy.

Tink said...

Thank you all so very much for the kind thoughts and love. It means so much to me. I feel like we're stepping out of a dark cave into brighter light now. It gets a little better each day. Kids keep me hopping and that helps a lot.

Hope to be back in blog action soon!

Thank you,

XO Tink

Lucy said...

More love and best wishes for a good week, Tink...

(I'll be in Meher Baba land... (sort of.... )....WISH I could visit Myrtle Beach while I'm down there...

grace said...

I hope your days get brighter and brighter, it takes awhile. xox