File this under "WTF were they thinking??"
Monks brawl at Christian holy site in Jerusalem
By MATTI FRIEDMAN, Associated Press Writer
By MATTI FRIEDMAN, Associated Press Writer
JERUSALEM – Israeli police rushed into one of Christianity's holiest churches Sunday and arrested two clergyman after an argument between monks erupted into a brawl next to the site of Jesus' tomb.
The clash between Armenian and Greek Orthodox monks broke out in the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, revered as the site of Jesus' crucifixion, burial and resurrection.
Six Christian sects divide control of the ancient church. They regularly fight over turf and influence, and Israeli police are occasionally forced to intervene.
"We were keeping resistance so that the procession could not pass through ... and establish a right that they don't have," said a young Greek Orthodox monk with a cut next to his left eye.
The monk, who gave his name as Serafim, said he sustained the wound when an Armenian punched him from behind and broke his glasses.
Father Pakrat of the Armenian Patriarchate said the Greek demand was "against the status quo arrangement and against the internal arrangement of the Holy Sepulcher." He said the Greeks attacked first.
Archbishop Aristarchos, the chief secretary of the Greek Orthodox patriarchate, denied his monks initiated the violence.
Jumping Jiminy Christmas. Father Pack Rat????? lol
".... Six Christian sects divide control of the ancient church. They regularly fight over turf and influence, and Israeli police are occasionally forced to intervene.
Is it really any wonder *why* the world is in the state it's in? Whatever happened to that guy called 'Jesus' that these (loosely termed) "Christian monks" are supposed to be emulating? Oh wait ... that's right. How stoopid of me to forget. He was murdered over turf and influence issues ...


4 comments:
holy crap!! I like your last paragraph of your post...spot on!
There is and always will be such turmoil in that part of the world, I think you hit that on the head with that picture of Linda Blair!!
Typical...We are talking about third world mentality people afterall. I'm not surprised at all. Can't say I know any Monks personally, but they don't come off as the most "with it" bunch on the planet. LOL! It reminds me of a scene from Monty Python's Life of Brian...I just can't remember exactly which scene it was. Maybe it'll come to me later.
Yeah! That scene from The Exorcist where the priest just keeps flinging holy water on the kid and chants "The power of Christ compels you ... the power of Christ compels you .." was well .. very compelling! I'm feeling like at least 1/2 the world is possessed or something ...
All I can think of from the Python gang is the Ministry of Silly Walks and "my brain hurts .." I shouldn't be surprised by much anymore, but every so often, it happens. lol
you might be right there Tink! Look at what people do to our animals. You watched the video, lets keep that torch lit for our furry friends. :)
Hope you are well. xox
Post a Comment