1/16/09

Andrew Wyeth 1917 - 2009




Two of my favorites. "Adrift" and "Love In The Afternoon"

9 comments:

ROB said...

You know...I was about to say...Well...Andrew is up there in Heaven jamming with Jimi and Keith Moon and all the rest, but I figured first I will WIKI him and find out if he was a musician or not. Turns out he's a painter. Good thing I checked first. I'm very uncultured obviously, I don't know much about painting. Interestingly though, I have always been a fan of this type of painting...this so-called "realist" stuff. I checked out some of his stuff and it's incredible. To me (and I know this may seem narrow-minded) people that can paint something that makes me have to do a double take to make sure it isn't a photo is true art and talent. Most of the other stuff doesn't impress me. Stuff that looks like someone shoved a paint brush in their rectum and jiggled their buttocks on a canvass...not my idea of art. I know some people dig that stuff, but I just don't get it. Now the stuff Lucy does...is awesome! That girl has talent!
Anyway, thanks for sharing this with me Tink...I learned a new name! And like so many artist...I didn't come to appreciate him until after he died. Sad how that works!

grace said...

You are funny with your painting analagy Rob.

I do remember his name and that Adrift painting. Sorry to hear of him passing.

Dale said...

He was an amazing realist painter. My very favourite painter in the realism gendre is Canadian, Alex Coleville.

I wish I could paint like that...

xx

grace said...

Hi Tink,

glad the kids are on the mend. It is a nasty Flu bug going around. I love to see you come by, just hope I didn't make u feel bad. Just missed you. xo

Lucy said...

Hi Tink.

Woefully behind on this. Sad loss re Andrew Wyeth, yes. But what a great legacy of art he leaves behind.

His themes seem to be ones of loneliness and emptiness, yet peaceful. Love the realism, too. Almost photographic.

Saw a book on Wyeth the other day in Borders and flipped through it, and thought of you.

Hope you and the kids are well this weekend.

- Lucy.

Tink said...

lol Rob jiggled their butt? lol! I understand what you mean, tho. I think that's so very cool that you appreciate his art, even after his death. My tendency is toward loving the realism painters, too. Thanks Grace and Dale I will check out Alex Coleville. (I wish I could paint like that too!) Lucy Oh please! Let's not worry about being behind or getting to visit blogs in any kind of time frame. I don't expect that and appreciate the fact that you guys take the time to visit.

Is it just me, or do weekends seem to go by even faster these days???

Tink said...

p.s. Grace It really did take about 3 weeks for all remnants of the flu to pass for us. The ear thing must be awful.

:o(

grace said...

Dramamine huh? I will try that, because this ear is not clearing and a quiet little ringing or humming noise is driving me crazy.
thnks Tink!

Lucy said...

my ear's been shut too! Arrghhh....

I hate that!

(my husband's too...)

Sigh... (Monday). You're so right, Tink.