
I should be vacuuming the dust bunnies this morning. Instead, I'm pondering time. Is time a giant vacuum, sucking the very life and soul out of the Earth and its inhabitants, pulling it all into a giant vacuum bag in the Ethers and then depositing it in the Big Trash Heap of The Cosmos. Or is it like a giant repository, storing it all in giant Bins of Memory? Keeping every thought, every cell, every moment forever locked in a time/space continuum for future's past reference? As the cogs whirled, I figured they're the same thing. What's different is only in how we *think* they're different or the same. Anyway, I drifted into sleep (well after midnight) thinking that today 1/1/09 is the inverse of 9-1-1. It gave me pause. I figured that it's a possibility that the world *could* end today. Not probable, but possible. Since 1/1/09 is opposed to 09/1/1, it would seem to be a time of construction rather than destruction. Hope rather than despair. A New Year, a beginning and an end all wrapped up in the collision of an old greying man and a small pink baby. So, I laughed in the face of the dust bunnies. If the world should end, who cares if the dust is in the vacuum bag or under the sofa? Last night, in the U.S., one second of time was "added" to the official New Year countdown clock. This was done for a number of reasons, but suffice to say that the Giant Heads in charge of the atomic clock of precise time said it had to be so, due to fluctuations in the axis of the Earth. I can't think about this, as it hurts somewhere in my brain to do so. Did they go "10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, and 1 ... Happy New Year!" Or would that actually take away time? They withheld the "official" start to the New Year.
Rather than "adding" a second of time, it took away something. Then, to really confuse it all, it's called a "leap" second. Don't you generally go forward during a leap? (Unless you're falling off a cliff.) If you go forward, you gain; but, as noted ... sometimes you lose! You see my inability to perceive this in any rational manner? The world should be very happy that I am *not* mathematically inclined and probably hopeless in advanced physics. I would *so* stink at monitoring the ominous-sounding "atomic clock." Well, Rome was not built in a day and my logical brain will have to mature in another life. Here's how they explain it. Sort of:
If scientists did not periodically correct the difference between the atomic clock and Earth's rotation, within a few hundred years the position of the sun in the sky would noticeably differ with the time on your kitchen clock, an aspect of earthly timekeeping that has caused much consternation historically, vexing everyone from Julius Caesar to Pope Gregory XIII. So, in 1972, an international agreement decreed that instead of continually revising the definition of a second, atomic clocks would be adjusted by adding a leap second each time an appreciable discrepancy was detected by observations made at the International Earth Rotation Service in Paris. Since then, 24 leap seconds have been added, either on June 30 or Dec. 31; the last one was tacked on in 2005.
At that rate, "it will be 5,040 years before we gain an extra hour," Novick says. (.. from Time.com)

[original atomic clock -- 1949]
So, time. I wondered this morning about time. Time waits for no man. Time and tide. Time to go. Time for supper. Time to begin. Time for bed. Time and again. Time after time. Timeless. A matter of time. Time conquers all. Time heals all wounds. Time wounds all heels. It's about time! Time's a-wasting.
Time is money. A stitch in time saves nine. No time like the present. I asked the children for their "definition" of time.
Orion, Asperger Syndrome, Dinosaur expert and fanatic: 11 years old: I don't know how to describe it! It's like a game.
Ben, Kanner's Autism: 10 years old: It's like jazz music (nonverbal, he shows a jazz music trio playing.) Then, he points to "Teach Your Children Well" (a phrase in an ad) (this is how Ben communicates. He answers with songs, phrases, point outs in books, magazines, clips of movie trailers ... whatever is on hand in the moment. It's incredible to be a part of that.)
Sarah, Queen of Candyland, Trivial Pursuit, and most games: 9 years old, going on 40: Um, I don't know! It's numbers and it shows us when to do things.
So, we have a game involving numbers and music. This requires more time to think! lol I've often thought of jazz music as a bit chaotic, but there is order to that apparent chaos. Each part is orderly and flows in rhythmic patterns. Much like the chronological aspects of measuring time. And yet in music, there is that ethereal-mystical, qualitative, elusive, orderly yet appearing random sequences of numerical vibrations. Pythagoras would have loved my children!
There's the beauty, as well, in my son who is severely autistic. He is not bound by our time-keeping. He has an ethereal quality that is breathtaking, when not constrained by our need to "time" things, events, places to go, where to be. He floats in gentles circles around and around - sometimes to his own unheard drummer or song and sometimes to the musical beats of diverse artists. Much like a clock with no beginning and no end. Just a flowing, soothing, rhythmic circle. Very much at peace with himself. Very much present in the here and now. As far as I can tell, no thoughts to the past ... no concerns for the future. All right now.
But time, in essence, is very difficult to define. When time meets our sensate bodies, it can be unforgettable. Like a diarrhea attack in a long traffic jam.
We can describe it by its function, its purpose ... but to pinpoint a precise definition produces a brain glitch. A mental block. A brain fart. Lots of head scratching. ::scritch scritch scritch:::
"What, then, is time? I know well enough what it is, provided that nobody asks me; but if I am asked what it is and try to explain, I am baffled." (Saint Augustine, AD 354-430, Confessions 11.14).
Time rules perception
Chronos is Time, a god who has never been underrated. For all-consuming Time, who for the human mind increases endlessly, cannot in any way be separated from the orderly experience of life, which is not conceivable without him. Therein lies the power of this god, who rules, not only the appearance of things—making them look newer or older—, but also the Soul, who would not be capable of apprehending anything without his gifts.
The Past is the segment of Time that cannot undergo change, except by the variations of Memory, on which it entirely depends. The Present, which vanishes permanently without ever exhausting itself, is a challenging meeting with Time, on occasions managed by Boredom, Indifference and Forgetfulness, on others by Enthusiasm, Wonder and Engagement. The Future is the segment of Time that is unknown (except for the claims of seers, prophets and the like), and for that reason it may be awaited either with Hope or with Anxiety, or with neither; for it might not arrive. The events brought by Time is what actually happens; that may be, in several instances, called Fate. How Time and the events he brings are met, is the way in which life is lived; this depends completely on the disposition of the Soul.
Carlos Parada ~ Genealogical Guide To Greek Mythology
The ancient Greeks had two words for time, chronos and kairos. Chronos refers to chronological or sequential time. Chronos time is measured by the clock and calendar. It is orderly, rhythmic, and predictable. It is what we moderns typically think of as time. Kairos time, on the other hand, has a more nebulous meaning. It does not have an equivalent word in English. The least descriptive translation would be “in between time”—a moment of undetermined period of time in which “something” special happens. What the special something is depends on who is using the word. A comparison between the two words would be that chronos is quantitative while kairos is qualitative.
from Mark Woodward at CowPi.com (where a picture of "Laughing Jesus" graces its front door) (along with a bovine bearing the symbol for "pi") (lol)

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 (from King James' Version):
To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing. A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.
According to some accounts, the Meso-American (specifically the Mayan)calendar "ends" its linear timekeeping around December 21, 2012. Some have interpreted this to actually be October 28, 2011. Some say it's the "prophetic" end of the world. Some say it's only the end of the world "as we know it." In other words, it's going to be a time of a "new era." Whatever it may mean, the most important thing to remember is that the only "time" is God's Time. No matter what we imagine, prophesy, wish, project, or demand, only the One who created this Universe really knows. And so far as we know, no one who walks this Earth is privy to what it all means.

[ancient sundial]
So, if you're still awake ... thanks for joining the Weird Wagon on its little excursion through Time. It's time for a nap. I wish I had the time! :o)
"...the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil." (Ecclesiastes 12:13-14).


12 comments:
What an INTERESTING POST, Tink!
I must confess I'm only here for a moment (still on my daughter's puter), but will definitely come back to re-read the whole post at leisure later).
Never thought about the 911 connection!
Time -- one of my favorite ponderings.
Back later! (hopefully by this weekend...)
BEST for 09!
- Lucy.
Geez Tink...I'm baffled. So many things went through my mind while reading that...none on such a deep level as you were on when writing it though.
1) I thought of the song Time by Pink Floys from Dark Side of The Moon...I doubt you had that on in the background while you wrote this post though.
2) I thought of all the times I drove to a store, rocking out to a familiar tune on the radio as I arrived. I would shut off the engine go in the store for a few minutes all the while continuing that song in my head as I shopped. Then I'd get back in the car, start the engine, the song would pop back on...the guitar solo or whatever precisely where it was in my head as if I didn't miss a beat. Ever had that happen? It is a very cool thing!!!
3) I am wondering what time it is right now because it is almost time for the Rose Bowl to start and it is time for USC to kick some butt. Time to go...I'll be back when I have some free time.
The 911 thing was very cool too Tink. I like how your brain works. You are an incredibly sharp person. OK...Time to go.
See you next time:)
the International Earth Rotation Service?
whoa
eh, can i get some Service around here? ;O)
love the God stuff...
Sit tight pretty mama
I'm a-comin' round
I got-a three more hours
but I'm covering ground
"Open All Night"
I have always been fascinated by time. Time travel....the whole theory of time..really good post.
I'll be back probably tomorrow, Tink. To give your post a thorough read.
I'm about to conk out now.
'night!
Did they go "10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, and 1 ... Happy New Year!" Or would that actually take away time? They withheld the "official" start to the New Year.
No... Tink... I think they simply drunkenly slurred "Haaaappy New Yyyyear" -- that would account for the extra second. ;-)
So Tink. In essence, we're all 24 seconds younger than we thought we were? Wow!!
Tink -- again, I LOVED this post. Your kids' descriptions were wonderful.
Time time time.
Time (Magazine) sure picked a good title, didn't they. Then again, so did Zeit (the newspaper).
I think you and I have been touched by all this talk of 2012/Armageddon in recent days. We've been on the same wavelength.
Daytime. Nighttime. Just illusions. Therefore all time is an illusion. It's certainly relative (a la Einstein).
Watching all this 2012 stuff on TV (prophecies in the Bible code, etc) has made me have nanoseconds (there we go again with time!) of mental alacrity where I go OH! I get it! And then it's gone. Mere snatches of epiphany. An understanding of the universe. It's like the universe is finite, it's just we haven't reached the end yet. Like we're in a movie or a book and we haven't gotten to the last page yet. But when we reach the end we can always go back to the beginning and hop around. I dunno. Hard to explain.
- Eternal Lucy
(I feel so pretentious when I say that)
Tink! (wish you had a shoutbox
;-)
DO you realize your Amazing Journey book is selling for nearly TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS on amazon??
I'm jealous. (but really, that's INSANE)
I kept thinking, oh, I'll pick up a copy one of these days, no hurry... then the new one comes out and it's really HARD to find the first edition.
Grrr... Lucky dog you!
Anyway it's on my wishlist and I've put alibris on notice. ;-)
Seriously, I hope you and the kiddies are well and have a great week. I'm bracing for another Monday (tell me why, I don't like Mondays!).
And check your Library Thing msgs too. :-)
Lucy. xo
Wow .. so sorry to not have gotten back to thank you all for the comments. Rob! I love Dark Side of the Moon, but correct that I didn't have it on. lol #2 is amazing & fascinating. (your comment #2, not *that* #2 .. you know ... erm ..) I can't say that has happened to me (that I can remember) Sort of a reverse time warp there .. where you didn't "lose" any time. Weird and freaky! I've had things happen like, I'll be completely lost in thought and feel as if .. like Lucy wrote .. that I knew *everything* I ever needed to know and how the Universe works, and how God made everything and *why* life is as it is .. and then *poof* ... it's gone. I'll feel as if I was thinking for literally hours, then look at the clock and realize only a couple minutes had gone by. Freaky weird. Grace .. me too! I think that there are people who do time travel, but us "general public" types don't know about it. lol And Ray While I'm waiting for you, do you think you could do something about the snow? Thank you! I forgot to comment on that International Earth Rotation Service. I mean .. my mind was thinking like "do they give it a lube and fluid change every 3,000 rotations or something???" :o) Well, Lucy Pete Townshend called you Eternal Lucy! Be proud! :o) Speaking of being in a movie, one of my favorites is The Truman Show. My children weirded me out last week, because both Orion and Sarah asked if we were on some kind of T.V. show with our life. lol It's a long story, filled with weird synchros and I'll do a post on it soon.
BTW .. I *don't* have the paper version of Amazing Journey. I have one of the "original" e-versions. I had it on Library Thing because I had read it. I *wish* I had a bound copy. Dang, yes! :::tsk::: on me .. I have not been to Library Thing in ages. I will go tomorrow. Dang it! So many social networks to keep up with. lol
I used to have this weird notion (when I was very young) that if we understood *exactly* how the Universe works and everything about it, then we'd die. So, I never tried too hard to actually understand it all. Most days I just go with the flow. However, on those days when I'm in "Thinking About It All" mode ... yes .. those "little" epiphanies do come and go. It's kinda neat.
I'll be back!
xo
Time just is...
It's what we do with it.
xx
Hi Tink,
Just read your long response. I love anything you write!
Yes -- it IS very weird when we have those nanomoments of lucidity where the Universe suddenly makes Sense. Yet, we're not allowed to remember. Like snapping out of a hypnosis or something: "You will forget everything". LOL
Also, I liked your comment about being wary of knowing the meaning of the Universe for fear that it would signal the End. Interesting. Never looked at it that way before.
I find that the older I get, the less restrictive my thinking is. I used to be like, "aw come ON. That can't be possible." Now.. well, I'm more apt to feel that many things might be possible that we never imagined before. I guess it's because we've learned so much. I think what most blows my mind is how much ANCIENT civilizations already apparently knew, that we're only now realizing. This makes me think that Time (history) might really just be some big merry-go-round with no beginning and no end. (note: moment of lucidity there, but it just disappeared).
Re: the earth's polar shift? Maybe we could organize some big rock concert event or something and all lean to one side for a few days.
Post a Comment