
Did you know that the original "Pledge of Allegiance" did not contain a reference to the United States or to God? Me neither. (Maybe you did know!) Anyway, I was thinking about people across the U.S. pledging to be servants to the president. I stumbled on this photo-op this morning. Weird, weird, and weird! I was also thinking about some people comparing Barack Obama to - weirdly - the incarnation (more like reincarnation) of the Pharaoh Ramses. Possibly because of his striking physical likeness to that pharaoh. (More likely a combination of that and the somewhat arrogant, elite persona he projects.) Then, this little weird-o-meter photo of INCARNATION School pops up in a news article.

We were chatting on Lucy's blog about the Harpo Productions (Oprah backwards) video spot wherein Hollywood-type celebs monotone on about people pledging to assist mankind in various ways. It was a little freaky and most of us agreed that no one should pledge servitude to the President. It was, I think, poorly done and poorly thought out. Anyway, I was thinking about the Pledge of Allegiance that many of us recited on a daily basis in school. "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all." This is completely different than the original pledge:
The case to amend the original pledge to include "under God" was debated for many years. From Wiki:
Senator Homer Ferguson, in his report to the Congress on March 10, 1954, said, "The introduction of this joint resolution was suggested to me by a sermon given recently by the Rev. George M. Docherty, of Washington, D.C., who is pastor of the church at which Lincoln worshipped." This time Congress concurred with the Oakman-Ferguson resolution, and Eisenhower opted to sign the bill into law on Flag Day (June 14, 1954). The fact that Eisenhower clearly had Docherty’s rationale in mind as he initiated and consummated this measure is apparent in a letter he wrote in August, 1954. Paraphrasing Docherty’s sermon, Eisenhower said "These words [“under God”] will remind Americans that despite our great physical strength we must remain humble. They will help us to keep constantly in our minds and hearts the spiritual and moral principles which alone give dignity to man, and upon which our way of life is founded." Docherty’s sermon was published by Harper & Bros. in New York in 1958 and President Eisenhower took the opportunity to write to Dr. Docherty with gratitude for the opportunity to once again read the sermon.
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE (WIKIPEDIA)


4 comments:
Hi Tink!
Of course I knew they changed the Pledge. I know everything....LOL!
It's good to know that adding "under God" was "debated for many years". And that Homer Ferguson came up with a "joint resolution" in his "report to Congress" back in 1954. It's so reassuring to know that such weighty issues are being discussed among our "leaders".
Can you just hear the sarcasm oozing from me? I hope so:)
Seriously though,
I hope everyone realizes that we are pledging our allegiance to the FLAG....ie...the country...not to the PRESIDENT. That's what makes this country so great:)
I actually did know that. It was George Washington, I believe that changed it?
I an enjoying your great stories you are posting over at my blog :)
Tink you must go check out the video Aaron Jr. sent me on Facebook and let him know how awesome it is!
VERY interesting post, Tink. Almost missed it!
The Pledge. Yes, interesting topic. Almost hilarious how it evolved over the years. Reminds me of how I edit my own writing. It gets wordier and wordier.
Wonder what it'll read next?
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice and Wealth for all."
You know, the other day I was at my son's basketball game and of course we stood up beforehand and said the pledge with our hands over our hearts facing the flag. Suddenly I felt weird about it, for the first time in my life! It suddenly struck me as overly nationalistic, governmental, sheeplike, indoctrinated. Almost ATHEISTIC, communistic. It took me aback. I mean, it felt like worshiping a FLAG. (which is probably why adding the "under God" was a nice balance) Anyway, how strange some things are.
I think The Pledge of Allegiance (arguably) could be construed as either (or both) patriotic and republican or nationalistic and socialistic. Or all of the above. I just got all confused!
One thing's for sure; these days are interesting. I've never been so interested in politics and American history and government and tradition and principles. A learning experience for sure, if nothing else!
Oh, and thanks for the "blog plug". ;-) I'm all embarrassed now.
Post a Comment