10/26/07

Who This?


Here is the first portrait I ever did with pastels. I don't know who it is. The image of this man came to mind a number of times and I saw the face in dreams, too. I was 14 at the time and decided to sketch it out. Does this guy look familiar to anyone? To this day, 37 years later, I still don't know. A mystery!
I can't believe this drawing has survived 37 years, 14 moves, and 3 kids. :o)


13 comments:

ROB said...

Well, I happen to know who it is Tink, you're in luck. Drum roll please..........................

ARE YOU READY???

It is Hal Linden. Yes, Hal Linden of Barney Miller fame. The eyes aren't quite correct, but other than that...It's dead on.

Nevermind the fact that 37 years ago, (1970) Hal was not a household name. Nevermind that Barney Miller didn't begin airing until 1975. It's him. Besides, you said his face came to you in a dream. Obviously, you foresaw the coming of Barney Miller. Didn't you Tink? I'll bet you were a Barney Miller fan too!

Man, I loved that show. One of the best written comedy shows ever.

And you know what Hal Linden's real name is right?
Harold Lipshitz. No joke, look it up yourself.

Love,
Rob

eyesite2theblind said...

Kind of looks like Mark Twain to me.

Vallypee said...

I'll take Rob's word for it as I have no clue, but he looks like quite o few of the eastern European gentlemen we see here in the Netherlands these days - a very strong face! By the way, it's an amazingly good sketch, especially for a fourteen year old. You have quite a talent there, Tink. Is this something you do all the time, Tink?

Lovely!

Vallypee said...

And yes, it is amazing it's survived so long under the circumstances!

Tink said...

Hm. Rob I went searching for profile photos of Hal Linden, but no luck. It's possible. ;o) Yes, I loved Barney Miller. Detective Yeh-mahh-nahhh. One of my teenage crushes was on the Wojo character. lol I remember your mentioning Hal's real name on the dick and jane post. hehe

hm Aaron Another very good thought and guess. I just don't know! I started to wonder if he was a long lost relative or something. Maybe he's yet in my future?

Vally I thought of your language post just yesterday. I could not remember the correct usage of principal/principle. I didn't get a chance to post on your blog about that, but I will!

You're very kind ... Drawing, sketching is not an art form that I've kept up on. It wasn't 1/2 bad for a 14 year old! I've done a little here and there and love pastels, but often lack the inspiration and discipline for creating via drawn media.

I finally went thru my old portfolio a few weeks ago and scanned what could be salvaged. Most were falling apart and had specks of mold after so many years in boxes, getting damp, put in storage, etc. You can see a dark spot on the mystery man's ear. It's mold! blech.

Thank you, again, for the interesting guesses! This may be one that forever remains mysterious. ;o)

xo Tink

PDBT said...

It looks to me what would be the result if Walter Matthau and Stalin had a child!

Very cool, and I agree with AJ about Twain, another good call by 'The Kid'!
He's really 47, he just tells us he's 8.

-Lin

Tink said...

lol Lin The love child of Walter Matthau and Stalin. I wonder what they named him? Wow. Stalin with a sense of humor. It's Atomic Elroy!!

j/k AE. I luvz ya.

Yes, Aaron Jr. is eerily wise in only the way those from 8 thru 11 can be. Then hormones kick in and screw it all up. :o) In Aaron's case, though, I don't think that will happen. He has amazing motivation for a young 'un. His parents must be very proud!

Tra la ... back to work for me!

xo

Lucy said...

Sorry I'm only just now getting to this, but great portrait, Tink! Esp. for a 14-year-old. The expression is so pensive. And the mouth-moustache is so... real. The nose reminds me of my dad. HE kinda reminds me of my dad, a little (sans moustache). Excellent points the others have made about Hal Linden, Eastern Europeans and Mark Twain. I, I have no clue however. BUT I'll tell you this. I've burned it into my memory, and as I work in an academic library, I constantly come across tidbits serendipitously and if I should happen to see an image pop out of a book or journal that shouts TINK's DREAM MAN, I'll return to this thread. (I wish there was a way to search images (by pixel) on a search engine (rather than by name).

WOW. What a dream ... what a thing to do... sketch it out. Very nice.

Take up the pastels again, Tink!
- Lucy. Wow us some more!

(p.s. I still say your blog is the coolest!)

P.S. My verification word was Riazov. Could be the guy! Sounds Eastern European!

Lucy said...

God you crack me up! I just went back and re-read your blog post title. Who this? L O L

(p.s. new verification word: pqzyfvg) (?) (nah... ) (I prefer Riazov)

Tink said...

Thank you Lucy! I've wished often that I could identify this figure. You know it had to be haunting if I sketched it out at age 14! Never a full face on impression either. Always this slightly turned profile. Weird! The Eastern European flavor is definitely there. I haven't had the dream impression for many years, but it's always in the back of my mind.

Riazov. hm. Cool! Backwards, Vozair .. could be an Eastern European airline. lol Fly me!

My mom and younger brother had the real artistic talent. She was brilliant working with oils. Brother works now for Dreamworks SKG. I think his most brilliant work was on Prince of Egypt and his background art was featured in the hardcover book on the "making of" Prince of Egypt. Like taking up piano again ... sketching/pastels always calls, but time gets so limited. Maybe when my youngest son is placed in school, i'll be able to do some serious drawing again.

Speaking of Prince of Egypt .. I think the musical score on that was one of the most brilliant, beautiful, and haunting in the industry. "Let My People Go" was genius. Hans Zimmer. Ralph Fiennes (lyrics?)

On to a full day here! Have a good one!

Lucy said...

Hans Zimmer, eh?

Cool.

Cool about your bro' too! I'm gonna have to pull out that vid again... (loved it!)

Vozair. LOL

You know? I don't dream anymore. What's the deal? Can you post a blog about dreaming/how to dream? I don't know what's gone wrong. I used to be a big dreamer. Am I sleeping too deeply coz I stay up too late and get up too early? Help! I miss my dreams. One day I'll post the weirdest dream I ever had (or two...)

And whip out those pastels, Tink.

Tink said...

Okay Lucy I am inspired to re-explore the world with pastels. ;o)

Funny. My son came home from school yesterday, having done a creation in art class. PASTELS on black paper. cool. :o)

Coming right up, a dream post for you! Also, yes ... post that weirdest dream.

Lucy said...

Great about the pastels, tink! Can't wait to see more!

And oh, yeah.. I must recall and post that weirdest dream (or two..)
Look for it (them) on your dream post later...