
COPENHAGEN (Reuters Life!) - More than 150 Santas from 12 countries meet in Copenhagen this week to celebrate Christmas in July at the 51st World Congress of Santa Clauses, but the Kris Kringles also get down to serious business.
The first Father Christmas congress was held in 1957 when Danish artist and entertainer Professor Tribini realised his dream of bringing the world's Santas together for some fun in the middle of the summer.
In the beginning, the Santas were mostly Danish or Swedish, but now people come from around the world to the Danish capital to celebrate the yearly event.
Since then, Santas from every continent have congregated at the world's oldest functioning amusement park, the 425-year-old Dyrehavsbakken, 15 km (9 miles) north of Copenhagen.
AP:
Apart from debating Christmas-related issues such as the proper size of chimneys and weight regulations for Santas, the round-bellied delegates will go for a swim and parade through Copenhagen on vintage fire trucks.
A bicycle ride on Tuesday will show that Santas care about their health as well as climate change, organizers said.
Some Santas said they felt they had an especially important role to play this year, because of concerns about global warming and the economic crisis.
"The role of Santa is to tell people that there's always hope even if the skies are threatening," said Douglas Gowin, a St. Nick from Washington, D.C.

Wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen
Friendly old girl of a town
'Neath her tavern light
On this merry night
Let us clink and drink one down
To wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen
Salty old queen of the sea
Once I sailed away
But I'm home today
Singing Copenhagen, wonderful,
wonderful Copenhagen for me
Frank Loesser


4 comments:
Good to see Santa's having a fun summer before their busy season starts!!
Love it ~ where do you find these wonderful posts?! :) No, don't tell me, I want you to post them as a wonderful surprise.
thanks for getting my computer all wet with wet dog :)
Hope your week is going well, mine is....I have tomorrow off! I know, I just had a week off, but....
xo
Love the Santas on the coaster! Looks almost like a scene out of a Tim Burton movie!
Rest up, Tink. :-)
HI Tink,
I went to youtube to upload some videos of the girls from the lake, and of course, they are down for maintenance. How are you doing this evening?
:)
I dunno Grace .. they just seem to pop up in the news at random! lol Tim Burton Lucy is a favorite. I LOVED Mars Attacks, Beetlejuice, and Pee-Wee's Big Adventure. Hilarious. Kids love James and the Giant Peach and the Nightmare Before Christmas. They weren't so crazy about the Johnny Depp Wonka. I agreed .. it was good but we still prefer the original with Gene Wilder's Wonka. I'd like to see the new Alice In Wonderland .. should be wacky!
Can't wait to watch the vids, Grace!
xo
Post a Comment