12/4/05

Hark! Do You Hear What I Hear?



[graphic from the U.S. Embassy in Moscow] [seriously.]

Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Sure cure for the poppy field effect. 6-year-old woke up this morning and without looking out the window, excitedly chirped "It's Snowing!" I asked: how did you know?? "I heard it Mommy!" I believe it. A child who loves the snow awakens and just *knows* it's a snow day. And when our minds are quieted in just the right way - we can hear it too if we try.

As often happens to us "olders" along the way - we can grow to very much dislike the cold and snow. I know my old bones resist. But, there is still a magical quality to the first significant snow of the Winter Season. It awakens and refreshes as surely as a cold sea splash over the belly does. I do love how the snowfall can hush this clamoring seaside city and help people pause to remember. So! Avast! All ye good gulls and buoys. Santa's not far away now.

And just to keep Mommy on her toes - both children who are verbal gazed at the lovely snow globe and said nearly in unison "It's Mexico!" I said, "Mexico?" and laughed out loud. "Why do you think that globe is filled with Mexico?" Oldest son: "Because I see chupacabras in there." 6-year-old daughter: "Me too! They're all over it Mommy!" Um. I gotta think about this one.

2 comments:

lizze said...

I wish it would wnow here too!

Tink said...

well ... hullo England! :o)

ok .. maybe we can send some. Just so's it dunt snow chupacabras.

Happy holidays!

Tink