
for fascism?
You've probably read the news reports or watched the video from Gainesville, Florida. Here's a clip from one of the local Gainesville papers:
GAINESVILLE U.S. Sen. John Kerry's speech at the University of Florida came to a dramatic close Monday, shortly after a vocal audience member was hauled off by police and shot with a Taser gun. Police announced this morning they will release the student.
That student, Andrew Meyer, was exercising a former fundamental right and freedom accorded to the citizens of the former republic known as the United States of America. Andrew had the audacity to query Senatory Kerry, at a lawful public assembly, regarding the Senator's position on a number of issues. Young Andrew's microphone was disconnected and the ensuing stomp on ALL OF OUR FREEDOMS occurred just as Andrew asked a question about the Senator's alleged involvement in a "Secret Society" (probably referring to Skull and Bones.) Andrew was wrestled to the ground, by a group of overzealous campus police officers, and while being handcuffed, he was tasered while already on the ground. I watched the video. A number of times. The incident was clearly provoked AND escalated *by* those entrusted to serve and protect. This episode in the Orwellian Nanny State Series may seem innocuous or minor; however, it is yet another reminder that we're not in Kansas anymore Toto.
I'm spittin' mad. Again.
Bill of Rights Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
The Constitution of the United States of America
We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.


7 comments:
I hear you loud and clear Tink. This is all too typical of what's been going on for a long time here.
Hell, I have to pay $12.95/month to hear Howard Stern exercise his free speech thanks to the idiotic FCC and their unconstitutional powers that they've somehow decided they have. I could go on for days on this one example alone but I won't (you're welcome). And Phil Hendrie retired last year largely due to his company (Clear Channel) breathing down his back due to their fear of being fined for indecency. Speaking of Phil Hendrie (ha,ha I worked him in here again), he has a character named Jay Santos, one of my personal favorites. Jay is a member of the Citizen's Auxiliary Police who often goes above the constitution to trample people's rights. He thinks he knows what's good for society and has no problem breaking basic laws to make his point. He's the ultimate wannabe cop. Try 12-14-2005 "Operation Dine and Ditch" I call it, though any Jay Santos bit is usually a winner.
Have fun and I hope you enjoy!
Rob
Hi Tink,
It does seem that the freedom of speech thing is going out the window. And police of any type or too over zealous these days. Scary stuff. (scary picture too)
have a good rest of the week.
Hi again Tink,
I've had a chance to see the video of the kid you're talking about. I hadn't at the time I commented yesterday. Now I'm even more pissed off. That was total bullshit. What amazes me is that most people I've talked to or have heard on the airwaves feel the kid got what he deserved. I disagree. I'll admit the kid was annoying and seemed over-dramatic but come on, he wasn't posing any threat to anyone.
Unless of course, embarrassment is an arrestable and taserable offense now. Don't get me wrong, I supported the cops in the whole Rodney King thing and in similar situations where they were facing a potential dangerous threat. In this instance, this wasn't the case and personally I'd like to see these cops get some jail time and dismissal from their jobs.
On the bright side, this could give Phil Hendrie some material for some solid new bits:)
Thanks for the comments Grace and Rob!
My gut says that it was Kerry security or a campus higher up representative instigating the muzzling. The campus suits had to have taken a cue from someone. While it's definitely an issue (police overzealous intervention) I think the most important issue was how and WHY he was silenced in the first place. That's what gets my dander up so bad.
I fully support our good, decent law enforcement officers. I believe the vast majority are honest, fair, and do a tremendous job for us while facing the crappiest dregs in society. There are always bad apples in the barrel, but overall ... they're good people doing an often shitty job. I'm a little biased that way, as a number of my close family members are law enforcement.
Okay, I'll have to wait until tomorrow to listen to the Jay Santos bit. Operation dine and ditch. lol sounds like a winner, you're right! Thanks for the heads up on it.
Tink, just stopping by to say thanks for commenting on my blog and for being an e-friend.
I am going to forgoe commenting on this very thought-provoking excerpt here because politics and I do not mix. There is so much to say but in my opinion, no solution for the greed, bad-decision making, fear, extortion, and just overall apathy of imperfect men in charge of our little lives. All I can say is that I look to God for answers...
wink
loveya
-Lin
Hi Tink!
I haven't been around blogland for quite awhile. I am trying to catch up with everyone's blogs. I left a comment on your "random things". I appreciate your comments on mine, you are so sweet.
As for the subject of free speech, I think it only applies to certain situations. Unfortunately, not this one. Whenever an elected official is asked a question they don't want to get into, the inquirer is automatically silenced. Some easily, some not so easily as in this case.
Have a good weekend!
XO
Zoe
Hiya Lin and Zoe !
Don't worry about not making commentary. I don't often get into political discussions for that same reason. This one irked me so, that I just had to post it.
I know what you all mean, tho. I'm all for good manners and trying to be polite and non-injurious to people when "discussing." Sometimes, tho, ya gotta kickstart the process. Not violence ... but something shocking or very attention getting. I dunno. I pray about everything and seek guidance from the Bible, too. ;o)
Hope everyone is well and having a lovely start to Autumn!
xo Tink
Post a Comment