6/7/09

Fly Away D-Day Babies!

Well, they've done flown the coop! The baby robins took off at some point last night. I thought I heard a couple thumps late last night. It might have been early this morning 6/7/09. How fitting if it was, indeed, on D-Day! It was an amazing journey for all of us. We woke up this morning to find an empty nest and no sign of the little ones! I saw the 2 adult robins hovering around near the shed, searching for bugs and such. Mom and Dad may be helping the wee ones hide as they learn to find worms on their own. Either that, or they were able to fly already. Here are the last photos I was able to snap yesterday afternoon(6/6/09):


















And this morning:







[a little boo-hoo ... yes, I had a few tears!] Sarah shed a small tear and wished them well. I told her it's the ultimate thing that all children will need to experience ... growing up and going off on their own. She said "Mommy, I want to live with you forever!" Aw .. sniff sniff. She'll feel completely different in a couple years, when teenage angst rears its head like a cobra ready for strike. lol

8 comments:

Lucy said...

AWWWW! What a sweet and wonderful account this has been. You have been blessed, Tink. I feel it.

And you have blessed US with this wonderful robinmentary!

(I woulda shed a tear too) (sweet also your daughter's reaction) (I don't think my kids have ever said anything like that to me... sniff.sniff)

grace said...

aww man, they flown the coop already, boy that was fast. what good caretakers you were. and how sweet of your daughter to say that, and how true of you to say oh yeah we'll see when you are a teenager!
lol
I feel sad myself having followed their journey with you . lets hope they fly onto eating lots of worms and doing bird like things! laying eggs themselves for someone else or...yourself to watchover.

xx

aferrismoon said...

great stuff. Have a few nests around my flat .
At the blog 'Too long in this place', the author used to call herself 'wise woman' but on May 20 her post said that she would unanonymise herself and use her name Alex Robinson

Cheers

Dale said...

Awwww! They really grow fast, don't they, Tink?
...and I don't just mean the baby robins. ;)

I think robins have more than one hatch of babies in a season, so be on the lookout - it might be possible that the nest may not be empty for long.

xx

Anonymous said...

BABY ROBIN EGGS! BABY ROBIN EGGS!!

erf ... hey wha hoppened? did i miss something? where is everybody?

upscale residents apparently, sheesh, next time maybe wire the nest for cable

Tink said...

Thank you, all, for the lovely commentary! Lucy Awww ... don't fret, they probably feel it but just don't say it. Yep Grace It was such a privilege! One time was enough for now, though .. I don't think we could take another journey. lol Aferrismoon that is an amazing syncro! I love it. lol Yes Dale They sure do! I blinked and 10 years had passed.
Yes Anon I was thinking maybe a little Evian birdbath and some nice wormy rice cakes on a platter might do. lol

Well, I haven't removed the nest yet because the 2 adults are still hanging around. If she has eggs ready, then I don't want to muck it up for her. :o)

Tink said...

oh .. p.s.

robinmentary

lol!

grace said...

oh definetly leave the nest. It may be used again. I have heard of that happening. I think you can handle another journey!!

:)