6/24/09

Pushpushpushpushpushpushpush!

She did it! Egg #3 secure. All in the middle of an incredible whirlwind on the tail end of a powerful thunderstorm. We had thunder and lightning booming and flashing. Not a drop of rain, however. Wind turned the patio umbrella upside down. There were tree limbs crrrracking and crashing all around. Sticks and twigs flying in whirling dervish-fashion every which way. And in the middle of this maelstrom, #3 arrived. I think the storm activity scared the last egg out of the poor dear.

Of course, this was all happening as I was on the telephone with Ben's communication specialist who informed me that we were denied funding from the government wags for Ben's "Dynavox" talking machine. I think God and Mother Nature were expressing something about that. This was the only device that Ben has actually been successful in using to communicate in a way that he is understood by everyone. We will appeal the surpise denial decision. More on this for another post. In the 30-year history of this special education department, not one non-verbal child has ever been denied a Dynavox. Why mine? I must ask. Well, we are overjoyed that the robin eggs have been safely delivered. I don't think there are more. Will update as usual. lol


9 comments:

Lucy said...

My oh MY Tink. This has been an incredible set of blog posts. Just incredible! Looking at these nest egg pics is like deja vu... from a few posts back...

THREE MORE! Incredible.

About the Dynavox. Perhaps it's a mistake of some sort. I'm holding out hope someone's going to call you back and say they were in error. (And I think you're right about the gods!)

P.S. Too bad you can't use Ray High's Vox Box for the purpose. (or was it Gabriel's?)

(anyway, fingers crossed for you and Ben)

grace said...

Your place is like the bird sanctuary.
I am sorry about Ben's denial. :(

I hope for something to help and be positive.

xox

Dale said...

That's so amazing, Tink.

The storm.
The new egg.

What I find difficult to understand is that your son was denied the Dynavox.
Did "they" give you any reason?

As always, Tink, you impress me with your strength and unfailing dedication to your children.

xx

Tink said...

lol Lucy
Ray High's Vox Box would be a boon! I know, I can't believe we have 3 more! Another amazing journey. :o) Aw Grace Thanks. Something will work out. We'll focus on doing what we have to do to appeal. In the meantime, we'll stay positive! Thank you Dale that's a sweet thing to write. Well, I haven't even received my notice from Medicaid on the denial, but apparently the reason is that the device is "not medically necessary" ... even though Ben's doctor wrote a lengthy letter indicating that it was. I think it's just a delay tactic due to funding shortfalls at this time. We'll just go through the steps that we have to, in order to get one!

Well, when things happen that seem unfair and we're momentarily setback .. we have the joys such as this beautiful unfolding of nature's grace to hold us over!
I hope you 3 are doing well. I promise to get over to your places and visit soon.

What a hectic day here! It's dreadfully hot for this early in June (98 farenheit with 105 heat index) blech. We're keeping cool and put out a small tub of water for the birds.

I just read Michael Jackson died, as well as Farah Fawcett. Ed McMahon too. What's the old saying about things that come in threes? But, as we've witnessed via our Front Porch .. good things come in threes too!

xo

aferrismoon said...

Just give the boy the box - what's the problem ?

I sometimes wonder if authorities don't get it into their head to make people suffer a little, otherwise, well, people might expect to get what they need.

Best thing to do is set up a bank then go bankrupt and buy 48million DynaVox wiv da Bailout

Respectfully it seems that society sees some benefit in bailing out people who have got a whole heap o'stuff very wrong while they don't see the benefit of helping fill-out a young mans life whose potential has not yet come to maturity.

Maybe there's some way of making one, an interested electronicist somewhere on the net.

Cheers

ROB said...

Man...what cool looking little eggs. I can't wait 'til they hatch.
As for the voice box thing...that's terrible Tink. I hope they get straightened out quick. Such fun dealing with the government isn't it?

Tink said...

Yeah Moon I wish it was so simple. Turds and bureacrats. They have some things in common. Have to give 'em both a push every so often. And they often stink. :o)

As I've been reading from other parents on various support groups, there have been similar experiences with first denials for approval. They usually finally go through with the appeals process. As soon as we get the proper notice, we can do the proper "appeal." I wonder if some of these pencil-pushers and bail-out boobs will have to go through an "appeal" process with the Lord when that times comes. :o)

That's the kicker, the ones who have the "power" to give a boy like Ben the ability to have an acutal voice are the very ones who would look on the child with unwanted/unneeded pity, say tsk tsk isn't it a shame, and then mark "DENIAL" with the big red X. lol (Oh! Speaking of "X" .. I have photos to put up from "cloud" Xs in the sky today!)
For Ben, at home, we can use the computer, because he's getting very independent with it. There is voice output in one of the programs from microsoft, but it is tricky for him and quite cumbersome because there is not immediate voice feedback, which is what he needs. Hard to tote around computer, too. lol I'll hold out a bit for the appeal. Thanks for the support. Appreciate it!

Hi Rob I just stopped by to wish Townshend a Happy Birthday!
I can't wait for them to hatch, either. I have to sand and paint the porch before August. I guess we might be doing it later. lol! I know .. bureaucrats. Turds/bureaucrats. Turds/bureaucrats. Turds/bureaucrats. Choices, choices. I'll take the turd, please! I feels so much better when you're finally done with one.

lol

grace said...

Happy Friday Tink!

have a good weekend. xo

Tink said...

Hi Grace!
A good weekend ... and too busy. Hope yours is fine!

xo